Outlined below are some common plants your pet may come in contact with during the fall season.
Autumn crocus, otherwise known as Meadow Saffron, is toxic to both cats and dogs. Signs of ingestion may include bloody vomiting, diarrhea and shock. Eventually, multi-organ damage and/or bone marrow suppression may result.
Chrysanthemums, otherwise known as mums, are a common decorative fall flower. These plants are toxic to both cats and dogs. Signs of ingestion may include vomiting, diarrhea, increased salivation, incoordination and/or skin irritation.
The stems, leaves and seeds of apples are toxic to both cats and dogs. They contain cyanide which affects oxygen transport and oxygen use within the blood stream. Signs of ingestion may include dilated pupils, difficulty breathing, panting and/or shock. Toxicity is rare because often only the non-toxic flesh of the apple is consumed, which may only result is mild diarrhea and vomiting.
Black walnuts are toxic to dogs and non-toxic to cats. Ingestion of shavings may result in incoordination. Pet owners should also be aware of moldy ground coverings including black walnuts, acorns, leaves, mulch and compost. Mold consumption can cause tremors and seizures.
Listed below are a few common toxic mushrooms. Mushroom identification is extremely difficult and they can be incorrectly identified. To be safe, do not allow your pets to consume any types of mushrooms.
Signs of ingestion include mild to severe vomiting and diarrhea.
Signs of ingestion include vomiting, diarrhea, decreased heart rate and severe drooling.
Signs of ingestion include vomiting, diarrhea, incoordination, agitation, depression and tremors.
Signs of ingestion include vomiting, diarrhea, decreased appetite, lethargy, and yellowing of the eyes and skin. Amanita Phalloides mushrooms cause liver toxicity. Signs may be delayed by as much as 24 hours and ingestion can result in liver failure and death.